Saturday, May 3, 2014

Hello From Brazil!

Week 15 - Boa Vista, Brazil

I’m jealous you guys are in Oakley right now! And you get to eat grandma’s food!  I bet you are having such a fun weekend. I can’t believe Jessica is graduated from college! She doesn’t seem old enough to be done with school. And it seems like just yesterday we were roommates. Time flies! Wow and I also can’t believe Rae’s track times!!! That is so awesome she broke the school record!!! I wish I could’ve seen it. She’ll have to break it again when I can be there to watch :) I think I got confused about the city that I’m in because my ward is the Boa Vista ward but I think I’m in the city of Gravatà. Don’t think I’m stupid for not knowing because it’s really confusing! They have like cities and then a whole bunch of little neighborhoods with different names too and then I try to remember the street names so I can get around and that just makes me more confused. and then on top of all that the house numbers are so random. Like we will be walking down a street and one house is 22 and then the next house will be 372. Like what the heck! Everything is so unorganized it’s really hard to find people’s houses. And sorry my emails are really bad grammatically but this keyboard is different and I can’t find all the buttons!
This week was kind of slow. We didn’t get to work as much as we normally do because Sister Fortes was sick and then the next day I had to go to Recife and stay the night there and then go to the airport to do something for my visa. I went with Sister Dana who is the American that I live with. It was nice talking English for a while!! Going to Recife is quite the trip. We have to take three different buses and they are all packed full of people. We both felt so awkward because we were the only white people and everyone stares at us! I didn’t think I would stick out as much as I do here! But I literally have not seen one other blonde person in this whole area! At the airport for the visa thing the lady loved my hair. I had it up in a bun and she kept saying it’s natural and asking for me to take it down so I did and then she wanted me to leave it down haha. She was really nice!
We always eat lunch at the house of a church member.  They eat huge lunches here and then just a little dinner. There is always rice and beans and usually noodles too. And then either chicken or beef and then they cut up tomatoes and onion and also they love green olives here! But they don’t have the red thing in the middle they have a seed. And I didn’t know that the first time and I about broke my tooth biting into it! And then sometimes people will mix it up and I’ve had this casserole thing with bologni a few times.  They also love bologni (idk if thats how you spell that). Oh and they always have juice too! But their juice is like a smoothie and it is soooooo good! They have this fruit I can’t remember the name but we don’t have it in the US and it is my favorite for the juice! I love all the food! There hasn’t been anything that I haven’t liked yet! You would think I would have a lot of stomach problems but I haven’t yet!
Portuguese is getting a little better. I need to be better at always speaking it. Sister Fortes knows enough that if I don’t feel like thinking it out in Port then I just talk in English to her and I need to stop that!! I definitely have been able to start saying more when we teach people though so that’s good.
We have a lot of people that we are teaching, but none are really progressing. We don’t know what to do! It kinda seems like everyone really loves having us in their house, but just want to talk to us about life and not about the gospel. There are a few people that have a lot of potential though! It’s just hard because we can’t see them as often as I would like to. Our area is HUGE!! And a lot of the places we aren’t allowed to be in when it gets dark which is 5 o clock here. So by the time we are finished with lunch at the members we usually work around that area because it would take another hour just to walk to the other parts. We want to do something different because we don’t feel like we are being as affective as we could be but we just aren’t sure what! Hopefully we can figure that out. We haven’t had any investigators at church for 2 weeks now! Yesterday we had a really good lesson with a lady named Zefé. She told us that she felt God’s presence when we talked with her. And she even told me that I spoke with power!! And that made me so happy because I talk so slowly! But it’s true that it’s not the words that I say that they remember it’s the feelings that they feel. We were so happy about that lesson. Hopefully we will see her at church! I wish we could just drive up to her house and pick her up!! She lives like a 40 minute walk away dang it!
Have you guys got a letter in the mail from me? I sent it two weeks ago from today. I hope it gets there and no one opened it because it was kinda thick. I put a map of Recife in it and some other things I can’t remember. Oh and for Mother’s Day what time would work best for you guys? Would 2 or 2:30 work? That would be 4 in the afternoon here. And what is your skyping address? Let me know all that!!! I am so excited to skype you guys!
How is Livee? I miss her!!! There are so many stray dogs in the road here it about breaks my heart! And we can’t pet them because a lot of them are sick. Sometimes I still do because I can’t help it. But when you pet them they start to follow you haha.
Dad-- when you send pictures only send one at a time because it always only lets me see the first one and then not the second. But keep sending them because I love seeing you guys! I have a lot of pictures to send so hopefully it will work!
Love and miss you all!
Sister Bedke

0 comments:

Post a Comment